Things To Know About Muvhango TV Series – Actors, Cast & Teasers.
Muvhango is one of the longest-running television series in South Africa, Muvhango is a multi-lingual soap opera that first aired in April 1997. The show revolves around the lives of the members of the royal Mukwevho family.
Set in the fictional rural village of Thathe and the metropolis of Johannesburg, the series focuses on family values as it explores the differences between the traditional ways of living and beliefs and that of the modern way of life in urban settlements. It is built on the premise that human beings all exist within a context.
Having originally aired as a Tshivenda language drama, show creator Duma Ndlovu opted to incorporate other languages in order to showcase that languages and cultures of South Africa should be used to unite all South African people rather than divide them.
Muvhango TV Series Plot
The premiere episode of Muvhango centered on the life of Mashudu Mukwevho, a well-established businessman who was on his way to becoming the chief of his community. Unfortunately, Mashudu ended up dying of a heart attack, causing mayhem in his home as a struggle ensued between his two wives and other family members.
The commotion was, however, particularly between his two wives; Vho-Masindi (his traditional customary wife) and Catherine (his legally married wife) who struggled over who had the rights to their husband’s body and who would bury him. The season ended with numerous court cases between the pair as the funeral ended up being called off due to some mystery regarding Mashudu’s coffin.
The subsequent episodes and seasons saw more conflicts between the wives, family, and children as they moved on from fighting for Mashudu’s body to fighting over his estate and heir to the throne.
In recent times, the show centers around Mukwevho family patriarch and village chief Azwindini Mukwevho who had inherited the throne with the blessing of the ancestors. He, however, finds himself in a never-ending battle to keep his throne and family together as his younger brother Mulalo Mukweho proves to be at times his biggest ally or greatest foe.
Cast of Muvhango TV Series
Since Muvhango first aired in 1997, more than 100 actors have been credited with appearances on the show. In recent times, the show has named just under 40 actors as a part of its cast list, divided into main and supporting cast. The main cast members include:
1. Dingaan Khumalo – James Motsamai
2. Gabriel Temudzani – Azwindini Mukwevho
3. Maumela Mahuwa – Susan Mukwevho
4. Murabeli Rasalanavho – Vho-Mukondeleli Mukwevho
5. Vatiswa Ndara – Moliehi Zikalala Motsamai
6. Nats Ramabulana – Tendamudzimu Mudau
7. McDonald Ndou – Khakhathi “KK” Mulaudzi
8. Bukamina Cebekhulu – Gugu Nkosi
9. Sydney Ramakuwela – Mulalo Mukwevho
10. Zonke Mnchunu – Imani Nkosi
11. Regina Nesengani – Vho-Masindi Mukwevho
12. Candy Sibiya – Vho-Hangwani Mukwevho
13. Innocentia Makapila – Rendani Mukwevho
14. Liteboho Molise – Teboho Mukwevho
15. Azwimmbavhi Litelu – Mpho Mukwevho
16. Humbulani Tsharani – Mulimisi Negota
17. Kingsley Ramabulana – Vhangani Ramasha
18. David Sebe – Vho-Gizara Mukwevho
Other actors listed as supporting cast members are:
19. Eunice Mabeta – Vho-Makhadzi Mukwevho
20. Sharon Seno – Marang Motsoaledi
21. Thokozani Sithole – Skhumbuzo Zikalala
22. Wavhudi Lidzegu – Vhutshilo Mukwevho
23. Amos Mulaudzi – Vho-Borosi Mukwevho
24. Pandelani Mulaudzi – Dineo “Dee”
25. Ndivhuho Mudau – Mmorongwa “Mo”
26. Candy Magadimisa – Sharon “Shaz”
27. Raymond Neluvhalani – Sgt Neshehe
28. Mmabatho Mogomotsi – Moipone
29. Bokang Moeng – Lethukuthula “Lethu” Mokoena
30. Dumisani Dlamini – Eric Zikalala
31. Pride Klaas – Pride
32. Vele Manenje – Seani Ramasha
33. Charlotte Mulaudzi – Sundani
34. Maxwell Ditchi – Seretse Diphoko
35. Paulina Mphethahanyi – Denga “Didi” Mudau
36. Xolile Tshabalala – Dr. Senamile Maseko
37. Phophi Mulaudzi Phakathi – Funanani
Teasers and Other Facts
1. SABC 2 and the creators of Muvhango often release teasers of the upcoming episodes of the show to stimulate the interest of viewers while remaining cryptic. They can be found on the internet on various South African TV websites and blogs.
2. In 2017, the show celebrated over 20 years of entertaining South Africans. It has managed to maintain a steady viewership of over 3 million viewers, providing steady work for most of its cast and crew.
3. Thabelo Makakavhule, who had played the character of Mudi Mulaudzi, is one of the youngest actors to have graced the set of Muvhago. According to him, he enjoyed his time working on the show and admits that it doesn’t feel like work at all. He says that after the school bell rings, as his friends go on home to work on assignments or play soccer in the streets, he has a car waiting to drive him to the filming location.